Jefferson County Agricultural
The Jefferson County Agricultural Workforce Development Program is designed to help farms find local people interested in working in agriculture. The program is geared towards dairy farms currently, but any farm may take advantage of some of the services provided.
Anyone interested in learning more should contact Corey Hayes at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Jefferson County at (315) 788-8450, Jay Matteson at the Jefferson County Agricultural Development Corporation at (315) 782-1806 or Cheryl Mayforth of the Jefferson/Lewis Workforce Investment Board (The Work Place) at 315-782-9252.
1.Offering a "funnel" approach in which we have interested individuals attend an orientation by Cornell Cooperative Extension of Jefferson County.
One hour program covering various topic referring to the Dairy Industry in particular
- Proper and safe handling of Dairy Cattle
- Overall Operations on a dairy farm
- Proper milking techniques
- Biology behind it
- Hours and wages
2. Applications are taken from orientation participants that remain interested.
3. A Job order is taken by Roy Jewell 786-3675 or John Lackey 786-3663, both at The Workplace. This is used to advertise your job opening on the Job Bank website (www.jobcentral.com/ny ). This service is free.
4. Based on location of your farm, appropriate applications for your job opening are sent to the farm by email, fax or even hand delivered.
5. You review, call applicants and arrange interviews. You make all the decisions.
6. Please notify The Workplace when you hire someone or you will continue to receive applications.
An in depth training program may be provided by Cornell Cooperative Extension, Agri-Business Professionals and Local Dairy Farms (Contact Corey Hayes for more information)
- 40 hour in depth training program covering all aspects of working within the dairy/agriculture industry
- 20 hour classroom
- 20 hour on farm